Hey there my fit friends! I know I haven’t been around for a while. I’ve been working on some other things and had some family stuff going on. But I’m back to focusing on home fitness and healthy lifestyles! Before I get into reasons for home workouts, I want to let you know that I’ve started a monthly newsletter to go along with my website. The newsletter will include workout programs, fitness tips, recipes, frequently asked questions and more. If you’re interested, you can sign up here. I will continue to post to this blog but will reserve this for more personal stories about mine and my family’s fitness journey, product reviews and other anecdotes related to fitness and health. And as always, I welcome feedback on existing content or anything you would like to see more of. Thanks for sharing this fit life with me!
5 Reasons You Should Have a Home Workout Plan
If you work out in a gym every week, you’re probably used to the equipment and routine. You like the variety of exercises or classes offered. You might enjoy the social aspect of a gym and seeing the usual people at the same time every day. Your monthly membership fee is a totally worthwhile expense and you feel right at home at the gym.
But what happens when you can’t get to the gym?
Do you have a backup plan?
There are a number of reasons to have a plan for working out at home. Even if it’s as simple as running up and down the stairs, knowing what you’re going to do before you need to do it will help you stay on track.
- First, if the weather is treacherous and you don’t want to drive, a home workout plan will save you that headache. Then you don’t have to worry about cleaning snow and ice off your car (Unless you still have to go to the office, I guess) to get a workout in. You don’t have to concern yourself with trying to navigate sketchy traffic in bad weather. Just stay safely at home and still get your workout in with your home exercise backup plan.
- Second, nothing will derail your gym workout plans like a sick kid coming in to your room at 4am. When this happens, having a home workout backup plan can keep you from losing your mind caring for those sick kiddos.
- Speaking of 4am, what if that’s the only time you have to workout? Work and activity schedules change all the time. Whether its a permanent change or temporary, your gym hours may not mesh with your current schedule. Sure, there are 24 hour gyms but maybe not near you. And you might not want to be part of the 4am crowd at a gym. Just sayin.
- If you don’t want to skip your workouts when you travel for work or when you go on vacation then a home workout plan is in order. This plan might need to be a little different to accommodate what you can do in a hotel room but the idea is still the same. Lots of hotels have in-house gyms or equipment you can borrow to use in your room which will make planning your travel workout routine much easier but it will still be different than your regular program so planning is important.
- The last reason for having a home plan is simple convenience. Sometimes you just don’t feel like schlepping out to the gym. Sometimes you just don’t feel like putting clean clothes on. (No judgment, I do it!) Having a plan in place for when you need (or want) to stay home just makes sense. As I stated above, it can be as simple as running stairs or jumping rope in the driveway or it can be as complex as a full body strength plan with multiple sets and makes use of some equipment you have at home.
Now that you have the reasons for a home plan, you need to create the plan. Think about your space. Do you have stairs you can run? Do you have a backyard you can do sprints across? Think about bodyweight exercises you can do such as pushups, sit-ups, squats, mountain climbers or burpees. A super easy way to get a workout in is to stream something online. So clear some space in front of the tv and do a quick YouTube search. The bottom line is that having a plan before you need the plan is what will keep you consistent even when life gets in your way.
P.S. Here’s the newsletter link again!