Yes, I know Valentine’s Day is in two days but, if you need a last minute gift idea, here are a few for the fit-minded person in your life. Or if you just want to treat yourself!
- Edible Arrangements. Flowers and chocolates are so overrated but a fresh fruit arrangement is unique and a bit healthier than that heart-shaped box of candy!
- Beeline Bike Compass. This little device is so simple to use. Just clip it to your bike and follow the arrow! It makes your trip safer by being less distracting then trying to follow a map on your phone. It has two different modes depending on how you want to use it. It also has a built-in clock, speedometer and odometer to track the stats of your ride.
- Soundsport Free Wireless Headphones by Bose. For a truly wireless workout experience, these in-ear headphones are perfect. You can keep your phone in your pocket or strapped to your arm or in the cup holder of the stair climber. It doesn’t matter because there are no wires to organize or move out of the way. These headphones will keep the beat no matter what type of workout your loved one is doing.
- Simple Green Smoothies. This book is the perfect gift for anyone who likes making their own healthy smoothies. Or for someone who wants to make their own but isn’t sure where or how to start. The book includes a wide variety of recipes, including kid-friendly ones (always a plus!) and information on useful equipment, shopping lists and much more.
The month of February for me includes several close family members birthdays so it got me thinking about eating out and attending parties. I thought these tips might be helpful for you guys as well!
- Check the menu in advance. Many restaurants now list their menus, including ingredients and nutrition information, online. Having a good idea of what you want before you go makes things less stressful. Of course, you might not be able to get an advance peak at the menu for a party, especially if its pot luck but if you know the host very well you could ask a few strategic questions.
- If you are attending a pot luck party, make sure your contribution is something that fits with your nutrition plan and something you like. Then you know there will be at lease one thing for you!
- Think about your drinks. Certainly indulge in a good glass of wine or a fancy drink if its a celebration but make sure you drink some water too. You want to be able to enjoy the great food so don’t fill up on liquid calories.
- Get your veggies. Start your restaurant meal with a salad and if you can choose the sides for your meal, make sure to pick a vegetable, and no, french fries don’t count! If you’re at a party, hit the vegetable tray first.
- Enjoy yourself! This is the most important tip. There are lots of additional little tips I could tell you, like…dressing on the side, have the server remove the bread, packs doggie bag right away, blah, blah, blah…but honestly, if you’re at a party or out to dinner, just relax and enjoy yourself. One meal is not going to make or break your overall fitness plan. One caveat: If you eat out A LOT then don’t celebrate every time!